1 Boathouse Row
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Google Maps Link
Held continuously since 1927, the Stotesbury Cup Regatta is the largest high school rowing regatta in the world. Exceptionally fine crews from all parts of the United States and Canada travel to the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia to participate. Over 5,000 competitors meet at the Athletes Village to experience both the spirit of rowing competition as well as the physical challenge of pitting themselves against the very finest crews rowing at the high school level. Their achievements draw a crowd of nearly 10,000 spectators.
- The coaches will be talking to the rowers about the trip and the race. They will send race information to the parents as soon as it becomes available. Please remind your daughters that they must submit a pre-excuse form to all their teachers to miss school
- Arrangements are made ahead for hotel rooms, bus transportation, team dinner, Thursday night dinner, and breakfast for the rowers and coaches. Fees for tent, tables, and a parking space for cooking are paid by the Crew Boosters.
- Thursday Lunchtime: Athletes leave school Thursday at at lunchtime. Each athlete and coach is handed a boxed lunch and a water bottle as she boards the bus.
- Thursday Dinner is pre-ordered from Chipotle. The Crew Boosters delivers the order to the athletes and coaches at the hotel.
- Friday Morning: Athletes and coaches leave the hotel for the river early in the morning. The Crew Boosters hand each athlete and coach a bagged breakfast as they board the bus. The athletes generally do not have time to go to the tent in the morning.
- Friday Lunch: Lunch is available for athletes, coaches, and parents at the Visitation tent. Cooking usually requires several helpers.
- Friday Evening: Team dinner at Maggiano’s near our hotel at 7:15PM. A sign-up genius is sent for a head-count. The price of the dinner depends on the number of attendees. It’s usually a nice price and a great time!
- Saturday Breakfast: The Crew Boosters hand each athlete and coach a bagged breakfast as they board the bus.
- Saturday Lunch: Lunch is available for athletes, coaches, and parents at the Visitation tent.
- Coaches determine departure time from Philadelphia. If we have a qualifying boat it could be late afternoon, but coaches do not know until late Friday evening.
- Accommodations for the rowers are made and paid for by the Boosters. Rowers need only bring money for their own shopping experience!!
DO NOT BOOK A ROOM FOR YOUR DAUGHTER; CREW TEAM room reservations are separate and already confirmed.
Who rows? Stotesbury does not have a Novice Boat event, so Visitation typically sends the three Varsity Eights and the First Freshman Eight. The coaches will determine in which boat your daughter will be rowing before the hotel reservation cut off date. Every athlete is welcome to go to the regatta whether or not she is competing.
Hotel info: The team stays at the Courtyard Marriott located at 21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. (215) 496-3200 is the hotel phone number.
Crew Boosters (parents and siblings) are encouraged to come to this exciting regatta to cheer our team to victory, enjoy the company of fellow parents, see the sights, (consider college visits for juniors) and have a great time in the City of Brotherly Love. It is very encouraging and exciting for our daughters to have the support of parents cheering them on as they race past our tent and to welcome the triumphant rowers when they return to the tent. This is a great opportunity to show your enthusiasm for their rowing passion!
Rowing events start early on Friday morning. The traffic is congested and the crowds are tremendous. Parents are encouraged to spend Thursday night in Philadelphia. Friday night we have a team dinner at with a table reserved for parent boosters.
With hundreds of boats and thousands of spectators, the Stotesbury Regatta is an exciting and high-energy race. Close to the finish lines are grandstands and vendors offering food, clothing and rowing equipment. You can also purchase photos of Visitation boats as they cross the finish line.
Parking is available in lots located a good walking distance from the tent. Shuttle buses are available from the parking lots to the river.
Location of Visi Tent:
We won’t know the actual location of our tent until Thursday. We are always located next to the Gonzaga tent, so look for our banners. Parents will receive an email with tent location as soon as it is known. Located on a muddy riverbank, the tent will be filled with straw to minimize the mud. Wear comfortable and possibly waterproof shoes.
Packing Suggestions for Parents:
- Comfortable shoes
- Portable Chairs (a must)
- Rain gear, if necessary
- Layers (the weather can change quickly)
- Reading material and patience. (There is lots of waiting).
Packing Suggestions for Athletes:
- Crew Uniform
- Plenty of socks!
- Extra shoes/clogs
- Rain boots/coat
- Nice outfit for Friday night dinner at Maggiano’s