Daily Practice begins in early March and is held Monday through Friday from 5:20 – 7:10AM at Thompson’s Boat Center (TBC) on the Potomac River. If the temperature is 32 or higher, rowers are on the water. At temperatures below 32, rowers practice on land at TBC.
- 5:20AM: Drop off / arrival at TBC. Rowers who drive park at meters on K Street and walk to TBC. All cars parked on K Street must have “Visitation Rowing” stickers.
- 5:20 – 5:40AM: All rowers set up launches with fuel and equipment, take oars down to dock, then warm up
- 5:40AM: Coaches set practice lineups and boat assignments
- 5:40 – 6:50AM: Rowers row
- 6:50 – 7:10AM: Rowers put equipment away get into assigned carpools. Rowers leave practice and drive to school in their assigned carpools.
Weekend Practice is usually conducted between 8:00am and 12:00pm. Until regattas begin, varsity boats practice one weekend day and Freshmen and Novice boats practice two weekend days. During this time, Freshman and Novice boats must take one weekday off as only 6 days per week. Monday is typically the day off, depending on the weather. Weekend practice times can vary depending on weather conditions. The goal is to maximize practice time on the water due the short practice season. Coaches try to pin down exact weekend times by Wednesday of each week.
Holy Week There is no practice on Good Friday or Easter Monday.
Spring Break Practice Practice time is extended both on water (by about 20 minutes) and on land. Water time usually will be 20 minutes longer. Additional post-water land training will conclude between 9:00 and 9:30AM.